The Do’s and Dont’s of Giving Treats to Koi
Koi are like beautiful little garbage disposals. They’ll eat anything you give em’!
But just because they’ll eat something, doesn’t mean it’s good for them. Here are some tips to keep in mind when you’re looking to treat your fish to something other than pellets.
- Koi are omnivores. You can feed them anything from fruit, vegetables, and even worms as long as you clean off any excess dirt
- The water should be 65 degrees or warmer for you to offer treats
- Avoid white bread due to the bleached flour, and anything with a casing like corn or beans
- Chunks of hardboiled egg are a delicious and healthy snack
- Many fruits and vegetables, such as melon, oranges, lettuce and spinach are great for koi
Just keep in mind that treats are just that – a treat! While they are not meant to replace a balanced koi food, treats are a fun way to reward your swimming jewels.